I have an issue with Code Enforcement. Can your committee handle that?

No, the NBCA Land Use/Zoning Committee does not deal with Code Enforcement issues.

Here is some general information regarding code enforcement.

How do I report a code complaint?

In the city of Atlanta, there are several ways to submit a code violation.  They are as follows:

  1. Telephone: Contact the Bureau of Code Compliance at (404) 330-6190, Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:15 am and 5:00 pm. to speak with a customer service representative. After normal business hours, all phone calls will be routed to the voice message system.  You don’t need to talk to any specific officer — just state your complaint to whoever answers the phone.
  2.  Print and Fax:  Print this form and fax it to the office of Code Enforcement at (404) 658-7084.
  3. Area Survey by Code Enforcement Officers:  During an inspection of a specific property, Code Enforcement Officers may also conduct an area survey for additional code violations that exist on adjacent properties.
  4. Email:  Send an email to codesrequests@atlantaga.gov.
  5. Via the internet:  Click on this link and you will get a form to submit your complaint via the internet.

What are some types of Code Violations?

The following are examples of code violations:

  • Mold/Mildew
  • Open/Vacant lots
  • Junk vehicle due to tires being off or inoperable
  • Excessive Rubbish or trash
  • Fire Hazard
  • Excessive Overgrowth
  • Flaking/Peeling Paint
  • Exterior Walls in Bad State of Repair
  • Defective Plumbing
  • Exposed Wiring/Fixture

Can I report a violation anonymously?

 Yes, you can choose to report the violation anonymously.

What happens after I report a code violation?

Once the complaint is received, the following steps occur:

  • The complaint is entered, printed, and assigned to an inspector.
  • The inspector then inspects the property thoroughly for the violations reported, as well as any other violations seen. If the owner is present, the notice of non compliance is hand delivered at that time. If the property is open and vacant or unfit for human habitation, an automatic criminal citation is issued, and the court process begins.
  • Owner research is conducted and a notice of non-compliance is typed and mailed to that owner.
  • Upon receipt of the notice, the owner will have a certain number of days to comply.
  • For follow-up, the property is re-inspected, or the owner is given an extension.
  • If the property is in compliance, the process is finished. If the property is not in compliance, a citation is issued; or if a citation was issued due to a property being open and vacant or uninhabitable, the case is prepared for court.
  • If after owner research is conducted and the city is unable to locate a responsible party; or they have gone through the court process and the property is open and vacant; or the property is more than 50% deteriorated, then the in rem process is conducted against the property.